Akai Professional’s EWI5000, the latest addition to the EWI series, combines innovative instrument design, wireless connectivity, and a sound library by SONiVOX to create the most expressive and versatile wind instrument available to today’s musicians.
Building upon the legacy of the original Electronic Wind Instrument, Akai Professional created EWI5000 with the same objective in mind: to deliver unprecedented musical expression to wind players everywhere.
Experience the next generation in wind-performance technology with an instrument that’s built for the contemporary player.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are the audio jacks on the EWI5000 receiver balanced or unbalanced?
The jacks on the wireless receiver are mono balanced (TRS). To hear sound, connect speakers
What is the maximum continuous operation time when the unit is fully charged?
The EWI5000’s 3.7V Lithium Ion battery can last up to 13 hours when using Line Out, and over 6 hours when using it wirelessly.
How long does it take to charge the EWI5000?
It takes about 2 hours to fully charge when using the included USB wall charger. The EWI5000 will also charge when connected to a powered computer USB port.
How many factory presets are built in to the EWI5000?
There are 100 factory presets built into the EWI5000, numbered 00 through 99. These sounds are more than 3GB of multi-sampled patches created by SONiVOX, including synth sounds as well as acoustic sampled sounds from traditional wind instruments. A complete patch listing is located here.
How many User presets are available for use in the EWI5000?
There are 100 user presets for the EWI5000, numbered 00 through 99.
Are the included sounds stereo or mono samples?
The sound library in the EWI5000 are multisampled stereo patches.
Can the wireless capability send audio, MIDI, or both?
The wireless function of the EWI5000 is for audio only. MIDI is not transmitted wirelessly to the receiver. The USB port on the EWI5000 allows MIDI transmission to the computer. The USB port on the wireless receiver is for electrical power only. With the wireless receiver connected to the computer, it can be selected as an input device in the computer DAW program.
What are the wireless specifications of the EWI5000?
The EWI5000 uses a 2.4 GHz RF connection. The maximum range is about 50 feet, depending on environment. The wireless connection passes stereo audio to the two 1/4” balanced outputs on the wireless receiver.
Can I use the EWI5000 with an iPad?
The EWI5000 can be used with an iPad and the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit as well as a powered USB hub. The EWI5000, though it is internally powered with the 3.7 V Lithium Ion battery, requires a powered hub because it charges from the USB port. The iPad battery cannot provide enough power to charge the EWI5000.
- MIDI Output Channels Over USB: 1
- Note Keys: 13 note keys
- Octave Rollers: 8 rollers; 7-octave range
- (2) pitch-bend
- (1) glide plate
- (2) ground
- Inputs / Outputs
- (1) USB port
- (1) 5-pin DIN MIDI output
- (1) 1/4” TRS line output
- (1) 1/8” TRS headphone output
- Power: Rechargeable lithium-ion battery (included; charges via USB)
- Dimensions (width x depth x height)
- EWI5000: 2.4” x 26.6” x 1.7”
- Wireless Receiver: 2.4” x 4.8” x 3.6”
- EWI5000: 1.98 lbs
- Wireless Receiver: 0.29 lbs
- Wireless Receiver
- USB Cable
- USB Power Adapter
- Cleaning Cloth
- Neck Strap
- EWI5000 Editor Software (download)
- Quickstart Guide
- Safety and Warranty Manual
If the EWI5000 is consistently playing a note, this could be a corruption with settings or the sensors are being confused. We always recommend first and foremost to make sure that the mouth piece and sensors are clean of any debris, such as spit. This will avoid any contacts from reading mixed signals.
Another potential cause would be corrupt settings. To return all of the EWI5000’s settings to its factory defaults:
1. Disconnect the EWI5000 from your computer.
2. Power off the EWI5000 by pressing and holding the Power Button for a full second and then releasing it.
3. Press and hold the Setup Button, Trans Button, FX Button, and Level Button.
4. Power on the EWI5000 by pressing and holding the Power Button for a full second.
5. Release all buttons.
- Authentic wind-instrument performance and response for the digital era
- 3GB of stunning acoustic and progressive sounds created by SONiVOX
- Automatically calibrates and adapts to the player’s style
- Wireless audio for on-stage freedom, receiver included USB port; MIDI output; 1/4″ audio output, 1/8″ headphone out
- Includes neck strap, charger, USB Cable, wireless receiver